In a technology-filled world, there is nothing like taking a step back and remembering what it was like when we were kids. Tabletop games have been around for years and years, still remains a popular buy amongst individuals of all ages. The nostalgia alone that comes with sitting around your favorite game is something that many long for.
However, if you have recently looked into buying new tabletop games, you may have noticed that they are very expensive! The cost of board games can be a turnoff for some individuals, but those who truly understand the hobby can justify the costs. The actual expense that comes with tabletop games will depend on the exact game you are purchasing, how rare that it is, and the complexity of its pieces. We will further discuss the many benefits of tabletop games, but some important things to remember about purchasing tabletop games are:
- You get hours of fun with only one purchase.
- Comparatively, tabletop games are far less than other hobbies.
- The health benefits are endless (lowered blood pressure, reduced stress, increased cognitive skills, and more!)
- Easy bonding time for family and friends.
- They are extremely beneficial for children and child development.
All Hobbies are Expensive
The first thing you should note about the price of tabletop games is that every single hobby costs money. In fact, comparatively, many board games are nowhere near the costs of other major hobbies. Anytime that you plan to invest in a new hobby, you are going to spend some money initially and purchasing boardgames is no exception.
For example, if you plan to start golfing one day, you are going to spend upward of thousands on the gear needed and to go to your favorite course. On the other hand, if you plan to start playing video games, you will play similar prices to tabletop games or even more. Not to mention, the price of gaming consoles which can cost hundreds depending on which you hope to purchase.
Once you have decided to begin playing tabletop games or if you just want to add a few to your home for family and friends, you will not have any costs beyond the initial purchase price. Most tabletop games need no more than a pen and pencil to keep score and all components are inside of the box itself.
How to Justify the Cost of Tabletop Games
If you are still uncertain that you can justify the costs of tabletop games, it is important to look into the many benefits that come with them. When you compare the benefits of these games to the price, you will find they are very worth it.
You get Hours of Enjoyment with One Purchase
Let’s face it, a quality tabletop game is probably going to cost you under $100, and that is for a very good one. However, once you make this purchase, you are going to own the game in its entirety. You will have the game available at any point when you want to play it, there are no additional fees.
Health Benefits of Tabletop Games
One thing you may not think of when purchasing tabletop games is that they actually have a lot of health benefits that come along with playing them. Today’s world is so digital, and technology-based, that taking a step away from this and playing a classic style game can be very good for your mind. Also, children who are raised playing tabletop games can benefit from them and can be advanced compared to their peers. There are several health benefits that come with these games, such as:
- You can have some fun – Laughter is a big side effect of playing board games and they have been shown to increase endorphins. Playing these games can elevate your level of happiness overall.
- Face to face interaction – More often than not, we are glued to our cell phones or TV screens and have limited real human interactions. Board games are a great option for even those who struggle socially as you have a common factor (the game) that you can speak about and interact with others doing.
- Family time – Going hand in hand with this face to face interaction, tabletop games are excellent for families who want to spend time together doing something they all love. There are games available for individuals of all ages from children to teens to adults. You can bond while playing and spend quality time together.
- Keeping your mind active and alert – Keeping your mind engaged and exercising it is extremely important, especially as you grow older. When you play tabletop games it keeps your brain stronger and lowers the risk of cognitive decline.
- Lowered blood pressure and reduced stress – The added release of endorphins can lead to lowered blood pressure and a reduction in your stress.
- Memory formation and cognitive skills – The parts of the brain most affected when playing video games are the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex, these are responsible for complex thought and memory formation.
- Sped up response time – Certain board games like chess, checkers, monopoly, and more are known to speed up response times. This can be beneficial in your day to day life.
- Grows your immune system – The lowered stress and increase in happiness that comes with tabletop games can help grow your immune system.
Children Can Greatly Benefit from Tabletop Games
As mentioned, children that play tabletop games regularly can greatly benefit from this. Not only does it increase your bond as a family, but it can be very beneficial to them cognitively. Playing video games can help your children grow their logic and reasoning skills, improving their critical thinking and spatial reasoning.
Another area where a lot of children struggle is their ability to focus, especially for extended periods of time. This can be very challenging in a school setting, but board games can help. Playing games can help your child learn to focus and stay focused.
Also, if you have a child that struggles with their motor skills or has had an injury, playing board games can help them develop these skills and master them. Games that have pieces that need to be moved, shuffling cards, rolling dice, etc. can help your child develop coordination and dexterity. Many occupational therapists use tabletop games as a way of treatment for children.
Best Tabletop Games to Start Your Collection
Of course, if you are interested in tabletop games, you want to buy some that are universally amazing and worth the costs. Once you have a better idea of the style of games you love, you can begin to grow a more specific collection. However, some great games to start your collection are;
- Settlers of Catan – Collect resources, build roads and settlements – dominate the board.
- The Resistance – a bluffing party game balances pure deduction elements with the social elements into a game that creates the adrenaline-filled moments of high stakes poker but in a full interactive and social event.
- Castle Panic – a cooperative, light strategy game for 1 to 6 players ages 10 and up. Players must work together to defend their castle, in the center of the board, from monsters that attack out of the forest at the edges of the board.
- Ticket to Ride – Players compete to connect different cities by laying claim to railway routes on a map of 20th century North America
- Chronicles of Crime – another cooperative game of crime investigation, mixing VR experience and board gaming
There are many other newer games like Small World, Pandemic and more with new games coming out each year. Your collection can continuously grow, and this can go from a sometimes hobby to one that you are enjoying on the regular.